The Rest of the Story
An associate of East Texas Model Trains made a vacation trip into the upper Mississippi River basin in 2012. During this trip he had the opportunity to visit the Helton's of Arkansas and his Kansas City Southern Railroad empire.
The layout room is 75 x 15 feet and his layout fits nicely into the same space.
• Track? Gargraves
• Feet of track? 400+
• How many trains at once? 4 long trains of 30 cars each and 10 locomotives
• Is it all KCS? Some UP, Pennsey, C&O
• Transformers? 6 each 190 watt Lionel Power Packs
• Type of locomotive power? All locomotives are command
• Command System? Lionel TMCC
• Building started? 1993
• Building finished? 2014
This slide show attempts to convey the magnitude of this layout and the Kansas City Southern equipment on Helton's layout.